This online creative writing course will help you learn what you need to improve your creative writing.
The syllabus varies from term to term.
Online classes Week 1OIL: The importance of having fun with writing.
- Week 1 The importance of having fun with writing. Exploration of the foundation of creative writing—observation, imagination, language.
- Week 2 Show and Tell: Understanding the difference between showing and telling. Techniques for showing—sensory, specificity, scenes.
- Week 3 Individuality: The power of a journal. Writing what you know. Writing what you want to know. Finding your individual voice.
- Week 4 Fiction: The types and forms of fiction. Where to find fiction ideas. The basics of creating a story—characters, plot, point of view.
- Week 5 Nonfiction: Exploration of three types of creative nonfiction writing—memoir, personal essays, narrative nonfiction. Where to find nonfiction ideas.
- Week 6 Getting Better: Good habits. Battling the blank page. Revision. Reading as a writer. Where to go next?Note: Content may vary among individual classes.