I believe it was the Football Hall of Fame cornerback Deion Sanders who coined the phrase, “If you look good, you feel good, and if you feel good, you play good.”
As strategic as football, creating the perfect outfit for the first day of school matters. You want it to fit well and be comfortable and it is crucial that it looks good because if you look good, you feel good, and if you feel good, you will do good.
When I was in high school my outfit in the 70s would consist of a chained belt, cowl-neck sweater, platform shoes, a pair of bell bottoms, a denim jacket, and my school supplies laid out next to my bed.
Am I the only one who would lay my clothes out next to my bed?
From my point of view, looking good simply meant I was confident in my appearance. I was clothed physically, but I had no protection from the temptation that awaited me once I entered the school doors.
As a Christian, when beginning a new school year there are six very important items to include in your wardrobe that I failed to mention which will help you to stand against the wiles of the devil (Ephesians 6:10,11)
- The belt of truth protects you from the lies of Satan and allows you to keep the rest of the armor in place, a very important piece. (Ephesians 6:14)
- The breastplate of righteousness covers your heart and other vital organs. Because out of the heart springs the issues of life (Proverbs 4:23).
- The shoes of the gospel will walk you into battle wherever God leads you. (Ephesians 6:15)
- The shield of faith quenches the fiery darts (Ephesians 6:16) when Satan attacks.
- The helmet of salvation protects your mind. When we have a sure knowledge of our salvation, we will not be moved by Satan’s deceptions. (Ephesians 6:17)
- The sword of the Spirit is the Word, your only weapon of offense all the others are weapons of defense. (Ephesians 6:17) This sword is sharper than any two-edged sword (Hebrews 4:12). It’s powerful. The Word is a lamp to your feet and will provide the light to your path. (Psalm 119:105). The sword of God’s Word both protects you and destroys your enemy—the devil and his temptations.
So, as you prepare for the first day of school and every day that follows clothe yourself in God’s invincible armor. Most importantly, don’t forget to pray. No prayer is not one of the pieces of the whole armor of God, but it is essential for you to pray without ceasing.
When you are clothed in the armor of God and bathed in prayer it looks good on you. Not only will you look good, you will experience a good life and be more than a match for Satan.